When Child Support Agreements Need Modification

If you have children at the time of your divorce, then a child support order was probably created. The order defines who is responsible for paying financial support for the child. The child support order remains in place until the child is grown unless there are extenuating circumstances involved such as a mental or physical disability and the child requires lifetime care. The child support orders that are in place will remain that way unless you petition the court to make a change. Changing Circumstances. It’s important to understand that the attorney at Lavinsky Law, a family law firm in Los Angeles, will need to help you prove to the court that circumstances have changed sufficiently to justify a change to the existing child support order. This prevents a distraught or vindictive ex-spouse from asking for more money just to make like difficult for the paying parent. It also prevents the paying parent from requesting reductions in child support payments just because he or she thinks it is too much. There are no hard and fast rules for determining if a change is big enough to justify a request for a child support modification. In Los Angeles, a change in income of 25% or more up or down is considered a major change. A child that develops a serious illness or has special needs may prompt the request for additional support. The change must be in good faith and not the result of criminal acts. Other reasons that may justify a change in support include the following. >> Child grows older and expenses increase >> Educational expenses increase >> Medical expenses are incurred >> Child develops a disability Modifications work both ways too. The custodial parent or the paying parent can request a child support modification after a divorce in Los Angeles. The custodial parent may get a big promotion and earn a lot more money so the paying parent requests a reduction in child support payments.