A criminal attorney would be one that handles cases to defend citizens who are accused of unlawful activity. Some examples of the unlawful activities include crimes involving property, such as theft, burglary or embezzlement. Bankruptcy legal representation will help individuals and families to protect themselves in the event of a financial calamity. Tax lawyers are often employed by businesses or individuals with complicated financial dealings. They may also help those who have had legal problems in their internal revenue tax filings. Business attorneys deal with contracts, copyrights and protection of companies, both large and small. Immigration legal help necessitating an attorney may include cases where clients are seeking citizenship, have problems with green cards, or are marrying a spouse with a different nationality and citizenship. Family lawyers handle an array of cases which deal with familial and domestic issues. Some examples include:
– Divorce or dissolution of marriage: Divorce can be a complicated legal issue, especially if there are children, assets and debts to seek proper division of. Having a savvy legal representative can make the different of a lifetime for the ex-spouses and their offspring.
– Custody issues: Child custody issues can be an emotionally wrenching arena to deal with for parents. Having proper advice and guidance will make the difference between a fair agreement and one that isn’t in the best interest of all parties.
– Grandparent rights: Grandparents have rights, too. When a marriage ends, the custodial parent often forgets about or purposely excludes the non-custodial grandparents. This is an unfortunate circumstance for the children and grandparents. This is an important bond that should be maintained, if at all possible.
– Spousal support: Couples who have been married for a long period of time have an obligation to each other to make sure that their former partner is financially taken care of. Many times, one partner makes more money than the other while they both have contributed to the partnership of raising children, making a home, etc. Spousal support can help the lower income partner to rebuild their financial life.
– Teen emancipation and other issues: Adolescents often have legal issues that require professional guidance. An attorney can help with these matters.
– Civil and Gay Partnerships: Same gender partners need legal representation to ensure that their rights are protected. Federal and state laws are often confusing and conflicting in their protection of citizens who are gay. A family lawyer can step in to make certain everyone is protected.
When an individual needs an attorney, they should take a look at the variety of legal specialties in order to select the right one. A family lawyer can offer representation for divorce, custody issues, grandparent rights, spousal support, teen issues, gay partnerships and more.